Apple Zucchini Bread RecipeApple Zucchini Bread Recipe
Since apples and zucchini are so abundant in this area, it's only natural that the two be used together in one recipe. I really don't know the origin of this bread, but I do know it's been one of my favorites for many years.
This makes rather a LOT of bread -two large loaves or 3 smaller loaves. It is delicious though and though I've never done it, you can freeze it.
We didn't tell Joey it had zucchini in it. We just told him it was apple bread and he loved it. After about his 19th slice, he asked what the little green specks were and I told him it was green apples.
Some one finally spilled the beans and he now knows there is zucchini in there as well as apples. He just asked for another slice.
I didn't add the pecans though....let's not get carried away.
Apple Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1 cup shredded peeled apples
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs. Add oil, sugars and vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients; mix well. Stir in zucchini, apples and pecans (batter will be stiff). Spoon into three greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until done. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 3 loaves.